Friday, July 26, 2013

Holly Plants... A Bad Choice

 
Lot's of work to do in the front yard... Terry and Lucas worked on digging out multiple Holly shrubs along the property line.
 
Fifty years ago, someone thought it would be a great idea to put up a fence, and plant invasive, sharp leafed, giant rooted shrubs along the property division. They had no idea that decades later, we would be breaking our backs trying to get rid of this mess they created.

 
Another mess... they took out a giant Boxwood shrub by the backdoor, and an old, useless, and rotted wrought iron fence, on the back porch. The root system on this plant seemed to grow all the way to China, and I really don't think it will ever be completely eradicated. We did not finish this project today, but I will work on it some more tomorrow. I have a nice Weigela to plant here, and some more reclaimed bricks for the border.

 
Here's another mess... on the other side of the back door is a desert like patch of pebbles and rocks, weeds and more thorny Holly, and cracked mortar. This is where I would like a patio, but for now, I am forbidden to touch the area because the basement is leaking in this spot, and Terry has foundation excavation plans for this site. Okay, hands off...
 
 I am collecting all of the rocks on the property, and there is an abundance of them. In fact, I have announced that there are enough rocks on this property to keep me "happy rock hunting" for the rest of my life.

 
Too pretty to pass up, and on sale too. I am going to plant this Hibiscus in a sunny spot, and hope for the best. These plants are tropical; sometimes they thrive, and sometimes they just don't make it through the Winter. We'll find out...

 
They're still working...
 
Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment