Monday, September 9, 2013

The Beginning of Project New House

 
I met a very special person a couple of weeks ago. Pat showed up at my door and introduced herself as one of the seven Schoenherr children who grew up in my new/old house.
 
We chatted about things old and new, and I had an instant new friend. Sadly, she was only home for a visit (she now lives in Idaho), and she was heading back, but she promised me that she would send some pictures of her father actually building the house that she grew up in, and the same house that I affectionately call "Project New House".
 
She delivered on her promise...

 
These pictures are circa 1949, of her father, James Schoenherr, building the house that I now call home. Terry and I huddled over the computer like it was Christmas morning, taking in these amazing pictures. We have gotten to know this house intimately over the past year, and seeing the beginning of it all is just amazing.

 
There's the man who built this house, with three little babies under foot.

 
The house was officially finished in 1949. A beautiful 1,600 square foot, brick home, with basement, on a large corner lot. Terry and I have not ignored the craftsmanship that went into building this house. Solid, and built with pride of ownership.
 
This is what seems to be missing these days, "Pride of Ownership".
 
You only have to walk through, an older home such as this, to realize the difference in quality, and the attention to detail.
 
A special thanks to Pat, for these great pictures; giving me and Terry a glimpse into the past, that somehow helps to propel our future, in "Project New House". 
 
Carry on...

No comments:

Post a Comment