Monday, January 20, 2014

Detroit Day Trip


This weekend, we decided to travel downtown. Not a big trip, since we live ten minutes from there... it's just that we tend to stay away from Detroit, due to general "scariness".
 
This picture is travelling down Van Dyke, toward the city. Amongst the burned out homes, sat this gem, and I decided to play tourist from that moment on...

 
My creativity on my latest tile project was stalled, and we thought a trip to Pewabic Pottery would light my artistic fire.
 
Pewabic Pottery is a Detroit historical gem. A century old handmade tile source, it is a must see for artisans, and anyone who appreciates quality pottery.
 
So, here we are pulling into the parking lot.

 
After a nice visit at the Pewabic Pottery Barn, we started down Jefferson, toward the downtown area.
 
It was cold, and snowy, and foggy.

 
We drove past the Heidelburg project, and let me say, as an artistic sort myself, this is not art. This is junky trash. The city really needs to take back this property from the well-meaning people who support it, and mow it down.
 
Now, before anybody has a hissy fit, I have done my homework on this, and the people who are perpetuating this "art" are actually what would be considered squatters. They have taken over abandoned property and claimed it as their own, without paying property taxes.
 
They are carting in junk, and adorning broken down homes with old tires, and grafitti, and garbage, and calling it art. Please... if you want to make a difference in the city, try rehabbing it into a liveable home, for a family who needs it, instead of continuing the "laughing stock" reputation that we have grown to accept from this sad city.

 
We came full circle, drove through the downtown, left, and decided to circle back to Eastern Market, and ended up on Gratiot, heading back toward the city.

 
There's Eastern Market, we could see it, but we had a hard time getting to it. One way streets and no left turns had us pretty irritated.

 
Finally, made it to the center of the Market district. What a freakin' mess !!!
 
The messy roads, and the crazy people, and the awful layout of this place would scare away the savviest city dweller, let alone the suburbanite looking for a city thrill...
 
We kept moving...  

 
Ahh... here's my beloved Tiger Stadium (I mean Comerica Park), cloaked in snow, just waiting for April. But, I did notice that even in the darkest Winter days, the Fan Shop was bustling with business. People love their "Tiger gear".

 
Passed by the Fox Theater. I don't think I've ever been there.

 
Took Woodward Avenue home. This is St. John's Episcopal Church. Just thought it was beautiful. I looked up, way, way up, and took this picture.
 
I must say, Detroit has some beautiful, old churches... correction... a million beautiful, old churches.
 
They are everywhere, on every corner. I even saw a few new ones being built, in between burned out homes and businesses, really? I can't figure that one out...

 
Going past the Detroit Institute of Arts. I have never been here either. Go figure...

 
Busy morning. We were so hungry by lunchtime, we stopped at a crappy little diner (safely back home in the suburbs). Detroit is an adventure, but we still feel safer back across the border.
 
Lot's to see there, but an underlying fear for my life keeps me from enjoying myself too much.
 
This suburbanite feels like she's been in another country when she crosses over the border. 

No comments:

Post a Comment