Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mixed Bag

 
Today was a mixed bag. I made a Pineapple upside cake for my Sandy girl, who turned 21 today. She spent the whole day at school, but we spent some time together when she got home.

 
I decided to go out and take some pictures this afternoon. It snowed a few more inches last night, but this afternoon it warmed up pretty nice. So, out to get some fresh air.
Shorty and Roxy were not happy that they were not invited on this field trip.

 
I thought the snow looked cool here, against the fence.

 
There's our beautiful "Project House" hibernating till Spring.

 
Covered in snow, and icicles hanging everywhere, just waiting for Summer. 

 
I followed Terry around the property, while he plowed snow...
 
This snowblower has pretty much proved it's worth during this Winter.

 
Freshly plowed sidewalk (walking down Sylvan, toward Engleman).

 
My glider loveseat, that somehow, never got put away for the Winter, sits in a snowdrift (I did put the seat-pad in the house). I feel guilty every day when I look at it, sitting out there, gathering rust on all of the joints and screws... Damn it.

 
Back inside.
 
Terry started demo on the front door entryway. He pulled up the molding, and started digging out the tiles. We wanted to keep the tiles, but they were beyond restoration.
 
We found that the grout was not typical grout that could be shaved and regrouted... the tile was actually layed in a mortar bed, which had blackened over time, and the tiles were very dark and aged.

 
The actual bed is cement, so we have an easy job ahead of us, for this project. We can lay new tile right over the exsisting bed. This entry is so tiny, I am going to do something light and bright.
 
And, in the Spring... new front door (and storm door), and new "shadow glass" entry door.
 
This probably needs further explanation...
 
These old houses have a front door that leads into a tiny vestibule. Then there is another door that leads into the living room and hallway. I am not sure why they designed it this way, but I have figured out that keeping the secondary door closed is essential for heat retention in the Winter time.
 
Anyway... I want to put a semi-shaded glass door there, for a more open feeling, yet still heat retaining. Blah, blah, blah, it'll all be understood when we actually do it, and post it here. 

 
Sandy came home from school and we sat down to watch American Idol, and have her celebratory drink. We had purchased cheap, pre-made daiquiri mixes earlier in the week. Strawberry for her, Peach for me.

 
Nice pose, but we threw them out after a few sips. Decided we would have enjoyed a "Slurpee" way more.
 
My girl does love Sparkling Cider though, so next big occasion , I am getting some real Champagne.
 
She inherited my good taste...

No comments:

Post a Comment