Saturday, March 8, 2014

Terry & Robin Get Out of the House

 
Actually got out of the house tonight. Terry bought us tickets to "Rain", the broadway production of Beatles tunes, at the Fox Theater. (Thank you sweetie-pie). This is our "selfie", taken just before we left. Really, we took about ten pics; blurry, closed eyes, etc.

 
Here we are... driving by Tiger Stadium (oops, I mean Comerica Park), still covered with snow mounds,.. sad face.

 
I have never been to the Fox before, so I was really going to check out this iconic piece of Detroit. I also wanted to see Rain, the Beatles tribute band, so it was all good. We bought tickets way in the back, on purpose; I like a fast exit, and I really didn't care about the band, just the music (didn't need to see them up close). I really wanted to see the theater... and here it is....

 
We went up to our upper seating area, and took this shot looking down over the balcony, at all of the people streaming in.
 
Hint: If you're in the upper deck, find the elevator, what a nice trip.


The ceiling, in the theater, pretty amazing. It looked like you could fly up into it. A giant stained glass chandelier hanging down in the middle. All I could think of was a Titanic moment; giant ball crashing down, people running, chaos. Why do I think these things? Too many movies...
 
I was glad I was sitting under a plain old plaster ceiling, (right next to an exit).
 
It wasn't just the giant glass ball, it was also plaster relief hanging everywhere, from the ceiling.
 
Lion heads, monstrous faux tassels, Egyptian Queens, and elephant heads...  

 
It was hideous, and I loved it.
 
(This pic is waiting for the show to begin).

 
One of the perks of being in the nosebleed section is a quiet bathroom. I couldn't help but take notice of this old bathroom that reminded me of "project house".

 
The giant Black baseboard tile is exactly the same as we have in our upstairs bath.

 
I don't have a sitting room like this though...
 
*
Anyhoo... now that I've talked about the Fox Theater experience, I must talk about Rain...
 
Rain is a tribute band. They play Beatles tunes (perfectly). They show old clips on a big screen, they change from Black suit & tie, to Nehru jackets, to Magical Mystery Tour...
 
They also mail it in...
 
The songs are great, and we love them, but the boys come off as blase' about the whole experience. The show that we are seeing for the first time... they have played a thousand times, and the audience feels it. We knew they'd finish with Hey Jude (as an encore), and we left, as did eighty percent of the crowd.
 
Blah, blah, for a fifty year old, it was a big night out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment